I’ve always been fascinated about one-hit wonders, the songs that net their composers a fortune. Just think – come up with one brilliant tune and never have to work again. But it’s quite hard to discover who has managed to turn their catchy tune into a fortune. But yay, I got an email from Prezzybox yesterday, and here it is…
…Merry Christmas, and Noddy Holder is having a lot of fun. He has admitted his song ‘Merry Christmas Everybody’ is like winning the lottery each year, but hasn’t revealed the true extent of his royalties. But here they are, along with his other high-earning members of the jingle bell crew on the Prezzybox Christmas Songs Royalty Earnings Chart. You’ll be glad to hear that Shakin’ Stevens is happily earning enough for a forest of Christmas trees, and Cliff Richard must love having come up with Mistletoe & Wine. No wonder Leona Lewis is trying to flag her flailing career with a Christmas album.
You can see the pennies pouring in every second on the earnings chart. Noddy Holder has netted over half a million pounds so far this year!
- Slade – Merry Xmas Everybody £512,000
- Pogues – Fairy-tale OF New York £386,270
- Mariah Carey – All I Want For Christmas £347,615
- Wham – Last Christmas £301,622
- Cliff Richard – Mistletoe & Wine £98,408
- Band Aid – Do they Know It’s Christmas £78,030
- Shakin’ Stevens – Merry Christmas Everyone £53,834
- Pretenders – 2000 Miles £45,344
- East 17 – Stay Another Day £30,219
- John Lewie – Stop The Calvary £13,258
By the 31st of December Noddy Holder will have made well over £800,000, Whilst Mariah will have raked in £455,000 and the Pogues £520,000, not bad for a year’s work! The researchers take into account PRS royalties, plays on radio, TV, duke box plays, shop plays and compilation album sales.